Sunday, August 17, 2008

Perfect Day for a Bike Ride


Today is absolutely gorgeous :). Hubby & I dragged out our bikes and went on an hour long bike ride. His bike is pretty sporty, but mine is very girly and perfect for rides around the park. The pic above is of my bike.

I wore my heart rate monitor to see how good of a workout the bike gave me - turns out, a good one! A one hour ride burned about 550 calories. We had a good amount of uphill biking, and only stopped twice to have some water.

I got my heart rate monitor about 3 months ago, and it's been well worth the investment. I paid $150 for it, and in turn I've learned how to make my workouts more effective. The first time I had it on, I went to the gym and did my usual workout on the elliptical. Ha! I didn't get my heart rate up that high at all, and I kept slowing my pace and my HR dropped. Since then I've learned how to get my heart rate up more consistently (running and especially the stair-climber) and how to maintain it. It's really helped shape my workouts and help me get more out of them. Plus, it's much more accurate than the machines or just using a calculator online.

Now to relax and straighten up for the rest of the day :). I love lazy Sundays.....





No comments: